Queensland Begonia Slideshow
Begonias for a Burst of Colour 🎨
is the theme for the begonia display of 2017.
The show is a “One Day Affair” from 9am to 4pm and the Admission fee is $4.
This is the largest and only show of Begonias in Queensland.
The display will showcase the wide diversity of Begonias — their varied foliage and colourful blooms.
This will offer an opportunity for members of the public to identify and choose particular varieties that they may wish to include in their own gardens or bush houses.
The 2017 Annual Show of Begonias is held at Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens Auditorium from 9am to 4pm on 4th (Saturday) of March, where visitors can:
- Admire quality begonias in many competition classes.
- View artistic static displays of diverse begonias, including endangered species, new hybrids and rare varieties.
- Meet experienced growers and dedicated members of the society.
- Purchase many varieties of begonias not available through normal nurseries.
- Buy books published by the society.
- Make inquiries or seek assistance at the information desk.
- Participate in the “Name This Begonia” competition.
- Witness the award of competition trophies.
- Attend a plant workshop at 11am.
- Win raffle prizes.
- Enjoy light refreshments.
For further details, please contact the Show Organiser Shevanti Seneviratne on (07) 5502 2579 (after hours) or by ✉ Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
President – Carmel Browne
Ph (07) 3359 4319
Secretary – Philip Adam
Mobile 0468 373 123
In their natural environments, begonia species originate mainly in the tropical and subtropical areas of the world, including South and Central America, Africa and Asia.
Sadly many of these natural habitats are being bulldozed, and the Queensland Begonia Society members are dedicated to growing the species that would otherwise disappear.
No begonia has ever been discovered growing naturally in Australia. However, we have many keen begonia growers who do have, amongst their collections, many of the threatened species from other lands, which will be featured at the show.
Some of these will grow here under our normal conditions and others require very special cultural conditions and need to be grown in Terrariums to survive here. These will also be featured at the Show.
On display will be hundreds of the beautiful hybrid varieties that are favourites of most gardeners who love the colourful and varied foliage and flowers of these spectacular plants. Many of these hybrids have been created and introduced by our own Queensland members and also other Australian growers. Thus, new varieties are introduced into our collections.
Annual Begonia Show from the Past
Click here to see the 2012 Annual Begonia Slideshow and Gallery.
Click here to see the Videos of the 2012 Annual Begonia Show.