Queensland Begonia Slideshow
Begonias in Tropical Splendour is the theme for the begonia display.
The show is a “One Day Affair” and the Admission fee is $3.
This is the largest and only show of Begonias in Queensland.
The 2015 Annual Show of Begonias is held at Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens Auditorium from 9am to 4pm on 21st (Saturday) of February, where visitors can:
- Admire quality begonias in many competition classes.
- View artistic static displays of diverse begonias, including endangered species, new hybrids and rare varieties.
- Meet experienced growers and dedicated members of the society.
- Purchase many varieties of begonias not available through normal nurseries.
- Buy books published by the society.
- Make inquiries or seek assistance at the information desk.
- Participate in the “Name This Begonia” competition.
- Witness the award of competition trophies.
- Attend a demonstration workshop and PowerPoint presentation run by Mrs Ivy McFarlane, a very experienced grower and hybridist.
- Win raffle prizes.
- Enjoy light refreshments.
For further details, please contact the Show Organiser Shevanti Seneviratne on (07) 5502 2579 (after hours) or by email to Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
President – Enid Henderson
Ph (07) 3359 4319
Secretary – Michael O’ Dea
Mobile 04 6837 3123
In their natural environments, begonia species originate mainly in the tropical and subtropical areas of the world, including South and Central America, Africa and Asia.
Sadly many of these natural habitats are being bulldozed, and the Queensland Begonia Society members are dedicated to growing the species that would otherwise disappear.
No begonia has ever been discovered growing naturally in Australia. However, we have many keen begonia growers who do have, amongst their collections, many of the threatened species from other lands, which will be featured at the show.
On display will be hundreds of the beautiful hybrid varieties that are favourites of most gardeners who love the colourful and varied foliage and flowers of these spectacular plants. Many of these hybrids have been created and introduced by our own Queensland members and also other Australian growers.
Annual Begonia Show from the Past
Click here to see the 2012 Annual Begonia Slideshow and Gallery.
Click here to see the Videos of the 2012 Annual Begonia Show.